Media Literacy, Media Ecology, Media Education: Digital Media for the Future
Media Education, Media Ecology and Media Literacy are the most important part of life of the modern society, where media is understood as a “common good” and an institution for the development of citizens. Media Literacy becomes a part of the media and education ecosystem; it helps develop “critical thinking” and “critical autonomy” of the audience.
2014 – 2016 was the time of a local military and global media struggle, political referendums and landmark elections, which was accompanied with a growing crisis of professional journalism, distortion of media space (propaganda, fake information, pranking, digital aggression, trolling, etc.), “informational uncertainty” increasing against this background and “informational overloading”, dismal state of intolerance to media in the whole world, manipulating and fundamental changes in media consumption of people in many countries of the world who tend to fail to discern news and advertising, facts and falsehood, and who do not think it necessary to verify their sources. The task of the international conference which will be held in Moscow for the third time is to extend and promote media information literacy (MIL) and critical autonomy of citizens with regard to the media.
The media ecology and media literacy field lies at the crossroads of many academic disciplines and is of interdisciplinary nature. The conference will gather scientists and teachers who are involved in conducting studies in various fields of media and education, as well as media experts who work with educational content, in order to discuss topical issues of media education development. Media researchers from Norway, Finland, Sweden, Canada, Spain, Italy, Poland, USA, Hong Kong, Germany, Ukraine, Armenia, Belarus, Georgia, Moldova, experts of international and national Associations of Media Ecology and Media Literacy are invited to participate in the conference. The conference will serve as a continuation of cooperation between universities of various countries of the world which are involved in media ecology, media literacy, media education, media culture and media criticism.
Main panels of the conference (preliminary):
- News Literacy
- Media Ecology as a way of existence in the modern media environment
- Education and Media
- Art and Media Education
- Technologies and Media Literacy
- Media Criticism and media Education
- “Difficulty of uncertainty”, “Illusion of objectivity”, issue of perception and “naïve realism”: why is critical thinking so important in the modern world?
- Post-truth of the social network era
- Humanism of media ecology, or the importance of contribution of the media to the development of rational thinking and why it is important to consider them within the moral and ethical context
- “Animated” history and “domesticized” classics: historic series in the form of social networks and other digital projects of reviving past (experience of Yandex and Google, regional media experiments)
- Interactive art, digital museums and education environment
- “Design” of thinking and educational technologies
- Presentation of Media Navigator international online project (practical guide on media literacy)
The schedule of the round tables and special events can be determined depending on offers and applications.All applications are subject to a preliminary examination. Plenary sessions, workshops and additional round tables of the conference will be formed on the basis of thematic examination of applications.